Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Grace and Supreme Pizza

It's time to post anew. Unfortunately, my life is pretty much my students; school is all-consuming, but in a good way. I hope I don't bore you with too many stories. I am finding fulfillment in my job and loving connecting with students on a daily basis. Recently, I have had several talk to me about some tough stuff (cutting, loneliness, anger, etc) and it's cool to be able to talk to them. I'm very close with one girl in particular. She bought me a Starbucks card loaded with $30 two weeks ago. I was stunned; it was an incredible gesture. However, I began to sense that she was trying to 'work' her way to earn my love and attention each day. It was cool because yesterday we talked after school and I laid out GRACE to her, plain and simple--nothing you can do will change how I think of you, how I care for you, how I treat you. I told her about how I believe in God and He does this for me daily. It was powerful (I actually cried a little). I have about 4 students that I just really want to adopt and since I can't do that, I want to do all I can to love on them in a healthy manner, come alongside them, and encourage them. I have been meeting with one guy for several months now, for extra tutorials and teachers are so complimentary. His math teacher told me the other day, "He is a different kid. I don't know what you are doing, but it's working!" He has an 89 in there (unheard of!). I'm thrilled. I sat in on a conference of a student today who's parents seem to have given up on him. I told them that I would do whatever it takes to see him maximize his potential.
I'm home now and it's Wednesday night--Aron and my date night. In the hopes to save money, we are going to cook a Freschetta supreme pizza and watch a movie here. I love date nights! I love my husband!

6 comments:

  1. that's so rad that you are able to affect your students in such positive ways...and that you truly care about their well-being. the world needs more teachers like you suz! ah, date night. we forget what that is like :) although we have gone out for sushi with owen and he was a perfect little gentleman, so i guess we had one date with the 3 of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great Suz. My brother Jason and sis-in-law Jenni are teachers here. They care so much about their students. Teachers like all of you are such an encouragement to me. Especially when you hear all this bad press about so many others.

    Date Night - we often takes Isaac on our dates as well! But we have discovered a wonderful thing. Trading Babysitting. That way you leave your baby with grown-ups you know and trust AND you don't have to pay them! :) We will pray you have someone in your life like that when kiddies come along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing how much you pour yourself into those kids, Suz. You have a gift, indeed. Can you retire and I can pay you to homeschool Elise when that time arrive? - you know how I feel about doing it myself.

    I'm agreeing with the other posters here on date night -- miss it. Elise doesn't exactly allow us to have one, but we've gotten good at being creative and doing things at home, as well as swapping with other folks from our small group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis, you amaze me. Like La said, you have an incredible gift when it comes to kids-whether it's teaching them, discipling them, or just loving them. I know that you will be one of those teachers that your students brag about for years to come! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. corporal punishment is good. use liberally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne, I am so encouraged by your love for your students. Thanks for sharing. It is so exciting to see how God is using you for His glory!

    ReplyDelete