Friday, January 20, 2006

Detentions and Eraser Wars

For some odd reason, my students just can't seem to get back into the swing of things since the Christmas break--over 2 1/2 weeks ago! It was one of those downer weeks where I turned into 'angry teacher,' which I assure you, I am not. Ask the students. One of my pervading beliefs as an educator is that it's important to respect the students (too many teachers do not). I have a good relationship with most of my students, but for some odd reason they just didn't listen as a collective group this week. It was annoying. I wrote up about 15 of them. When I worked our 2 hour Thursday School (detention) last night I had two boys that got into an eraser war, for which I had to write them another Thursday School. Ugh. I'm looking forward to resting this weekend and enjoying my space from the students that I normally enjoy very much.
suz

6 comments:

  1. Suz--

    of course I remember you! I saw pictures of you every work day for two-and-a-half years. :) I love reading your blog too, and I think of your posts as "worth waiting for," not "slow in coming." :)

    I actually looked up the actress who played Rayanne on imdb.com and it turns out that she has fibromyalgia that kept her from acting much, and now she has married into the British aristocracy and will be a Lady or a Duchess someday!

    My mom wouldn't have been too happy about MSCL either, I remember sneaking it at friend's houses. It seems so tame now...

    I am a "frustrated teacher" (I keep trying to pursue teaching, and God keeps sending me in other--very cool--directions). I love hearing about your students, although I know the feeling of wanting to strangle them occassionally.

    Enjoy Dallas!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your students!
    i will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, what age students are you teaching now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope i figured out how to use this...

    I remember being in Jr High and i had one mission, to make my teachers mad. One time i did a handstand on the desk just to see if i could. I waited of course until the teacher wasn't looking. I did it, and then the teacher turned around to see me doing a handstand on the desk...he didn't like that much. It's ok i didnt like history much ;-) but it sounds like instead of getting one kid like me you got a whole bunch!! Sorry to hear that, i would wish that on anyone :-D

    So, if this works i hope all is well with you both! Have a great week.

    -mark-

    ReplyDelete
  5. S--I'm teaching 7th grade. I never, ever would have thought of myself as a middle school teacher but I totally LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, the week is going better thus far. I can totally picture you doing a handstand--lol! That's so very *you*. :)

    ReplyDelete