Friday, December 9, 2005

Outing to Narnia

I didn't grow up with Lewis as I'm sure many of you did. For those who did I assume you've spent the majority of the day staring at your monitor pretending to be productive, all the while recovering from the 12:01 am showing you had to see last night. I hope it was worth all your co-workers having to pick up the slack?! Don't worry about it... (whisper) we all know it was. I have come to appreciate a little Clive Staples now and again. Particularly when it's cold and dark outside, coffee is within reaching distance... Oh, and I happen to be in Europe... Unfortunately many years have passed since all of these beautiful beautiful factors have happened to align, correspondingly my passions for Lewis have diminished by degrees due to the irresponsible neglect. Strangely, my waning passions remain quite eager to catch the new feature release. Thankfully we have the privilege of viewing the film tonight with the College and Career group, our first official outing. Upon our return both Suzanne and I will weigh in on the evenings events. Stay posted...

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I didn't know you have a blog!! Yeah, there were definitely a few things they could have done differently in the movie but it really was quite good. It has been a while since my last reading, and what struck me the most about the movie was to see and be reminded of the beautiful Christian parallels C.S. Lewis drew with the story. By the way, in the book, Lucy is fair haired. I always pictured her that way but regardless of hair color the kids were great! The picture of you two is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A common complaint I've heard about the movie is that it's either "too spiritual" or "not spiritual enough." Both complaints bug me. While yes, the series is an allegory and has strong Christian themes, it's also a story in it's own right and meant to be enjoyed as such. I haven't seen it yet myself, but I hope I can go and enjoy both sides, without over anlyzing them either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree whole heartedly LWB. Both comments don't sit well with me either. We're so quick to claim or denounce something as evangelical... trigger happy to defend the 'beauty' of our Christian ghetto. Is it worth defending? What happed to the appreciation of film and art for their own sake? It was a well done film. Who can't identify with loss, greed, betrayal, grace, love and sacrifice?

    A

    ReplyDelete