Saturday, December 3, 2005

Sparks Precede Fires

"Everyone, including myself, longs to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around us, perhaps many of us in this room even dream of having a global impact. We want significance. We want our lives to have meaning beyond our bank accounts, beyond the length of our SUVs, beyond the number of letters behind our name. I want to briefly highlight the life one such saint who has forever altered the course of history, the Old Testament prophet Isaiah. I am not however going to rattle off a list of his accolades or the highly marketable seven practical steps he took to achieve his best life now. Were going to talk about something much more organic and unpredictable, a painful and humiliating experience, a paradoxically wholly beautiful and liberating experience.

“God ignites sparks to start forest fires. Or to put it literally: personal reformation precedes corporate reformation.” ..." Excerpt from tomorrows teaching out of Isaiah 6 for the College and Career group of Firewheel Bible Fellowship.

4 comments:

  1. "Everyone here wears their sunglasses at night."

    Remember that? Huh? I'm still carrying the shame and humiliation that I suffered as you two got a good laugh at my expense.

    Welcome to the blogging world! Not sure if I'll be able to keep up with all your deep musings, A, but you guys can be sure I'll be a faithful reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I totally don't remember that comment. Was this a 'Blythe' era comment or post? I'm sure we highly enjoyed laughing at you... thanks for helping to rekindle the fond memories...

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I'm so bitter. Ask Suz. If she doesn't remember either the friendship's over. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I do remember, of course. When I refreshed Aron's memory of the story, he laughed. :) I've always got your back, sista.

    suz

    ReplyDelete