Thursday, September 14, 2006

Knitting Fiend


Recently, I have re-discovered my knitting and LOVE it more than ever. In fact, I just finished my first baby blanket (for a friend--it was a year in progress). I will publish a picture of it soon. I had gotten frustrated with the pattern on several occassions and it had been sitting in my knitting basket for oh, about 6 months. Once I picked it back up, I finished it in about 4 weeks. It is so soft and was so easy! Then, over this past weekend, Aron and I had to laid low because we both were fighting nasty colds. On Sunday, while re-watching Season 1 of "24," I knit Aron a beanie--my first one! Then, I knit myself one on Monday. They take about 2-3 hours each. Guess what alot of friends will be getting for Christmas... :) I am currently working on a blanket for bebe McKay and the yarn I bought is FABULOUS. I went to a yarn store in Dallas and bought the most amazing stuff...it's like butter and it's machine washable! Once done, I will post a picture. Along with re-discovering this wonderful craft, I have learned new aspects of knitting--decreasing stitches, fixing dropped stitches, creating a mattress stitch to sew seams, and creating stripes effectively. I love this hobby! You must try it.

8 comments:

  1. Nice job, sista! You have quite the talent. Aron has been so patient and it has paid off! ;) I'd enjoy a lovely striped one for Christmas. Steve would like to request that one be made for him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice!! the crafty bug can bite hard at times. I'd like to learn to knit and do some felting, heard of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waaaaaa, I can only knit square things still.... I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can knit scarves only. i love it also...mucho mellow fun. i'm dying to learn how to make a beanie!!!! how?!? tell tell how you learned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend the book "Stitch and Bitch" (http://www.bust.com/knithappens/).It's been very helpful. Also, there are a bunch of online video sites that have been good visuals for me. Try http://www.knittinghelp.com/ to start.

    Patrice, you can do it! Annie is the super knitter; where is she when you need her? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (i just posted a message but i think it disappeared, so hopefully two similar ones don't post/appear :)

    what is with you guys and 24??? :)
    fun pic of a! that is cool that you are making such chill stuff suz (especially since i am still only a scarf knitter and prob. forget how to even do that right now!!!) can't wait to see the pic of baby m's blanket! you are my inspiration girl, and if we lived closer you could be my knitting mentor :) right now i am really wanting to get back into quilting...make a cute little comforter for owie-o. we shall see! (i always get stuck...i can do the top, but don't know how to finish it/backing/sides, etc. ugh)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heth--knitting mentor, huh? Wow, that's quite something to aspire to. If you just practiced, you'd be great as you are already so very crafty. It's fun, to me, to have ongoing projects, too.

    24...well, we are just addicted I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm, i'm thinking i need something to sport my new cali lifestyle. what do you suggest? may I place an order?

    knitting will be a great thing to do when you have a few spare moments and want to chill, in between taking care of bebe elm and all.

    ReplyDelete