Tuesday, March 6, 2007

doing life

These last few weeks have seen us just further adjusting and settling into life here. The last of our guests has come and gone and we don't have anyone coming anytime soon. Rather, we will be the ones on the go for the next few months. In fact, I think we are flying somewhere each month from now until August. Next week, we leave for two weeks in California; Aron will work out of the MV office and we will stay with his folks, enjoying time seeing family and friends, and visiting sites and eateries that we love. We plan to drive to Hollister (outside of San Jose), where his sister's family lives, the second weekend and Shan and Steve and Laurie, Jonathan, and Elise, will come to visit us. It'll be a fun filled weekend, seeing our niece and nephew and all the aforementioned friends/family. Last night Shel came over and gave us our Valentine's Day date night we have been planning for a few weeks. Aron and I went to see "Children of Men" and really liked it (our first theater visit since M's birth). Later, we grabbed dinner at one of our favorite noodle places and Oberweis ice-cream for dessert. We were so grateful for a night out; Shel, thanks so much! I've been enjoying my mom's group that meets on Monday mornings. Maggie does really well, either napping at the beginning or the end of our time together. Next week, I'm sharing my Life Graph which is basically my story, my spiritual journey, mapped out on paper, or some other creative fashion. I want to do something other than just write it out, so I'm debating a painting on canvas of some kind (I'm not an artist) or something along these lines; I would just like to have it creatively displayed for my sake. Anyway, like I said, the group is good, the ladies are wonderful and I hung out with one mom, Heidi, last week. She is new to the group like me and has a 4 1/2 month old daughter, so right around Maggie's age (Maggie turned 3 months old yesterday). We met up for coffee at this fantastic bakery/coffee shop. The baked goods are to die for! I enjoyed our time together and can see her becoming a good friend. Let's see...what else? I have been reading several books; just finished "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde and enjoyed it thoroughly. Loved the author's writing style. I'm currently reading Anne Lamott's "Some Thoughts on Faith." We had Randall and Shel over for dinner on Saturday night; always fun to see them. We attempted to go to church on Sunday, only to find our front tire flat. We grabbed coffee and muffins at the bakery I mentioned above after Aron changed the tire and put on the spare. Then, we drove to Costco, ordered new tires, renewed our membership, walked around for an hour and a half, fed Mags, and came home. We listened to a sermon online from our old pastor in Texas and I was encouraged through his message (he started a series on Esther at the beginning of February). We are waiting for Maggie's birth certificate to come in the mail (do I really have to have it to fly next week??), wondering why "Heroes" didn't record last night and enjoying this season's "American Idol" (where, I might add, an old high school classmate of mine is still in the game--Sabrina Sloan). Also, I am meticulously planning our weekly menus, while trying to stay in budget for groceries, and man, it's a rough go some weeks. I'm trying new recipes, too, which is always fun. Maggie is more fun than ever and I'm feeling more and more comfortable in my new role of motherhood.

8 comments:

  1. Ohh, loving the good update. So glad to hear you are enjoying the mom's group. That's an important outlet, to be sure. How cool that you've befriended a mom with a daughter so close to Mag's age -- that will be great for playdates in the future!
    I loved the Eyre Affair. What do you think of Anne Lammott? She's one of Karen's fave authors and I'm always wanting to try her out.

    Can't wait to see you so soon!
    p.s. i don't think you have to have the birth certificate to fly, but it might be nice just in case you needed it for some reason (not sure what it would be...). I never took anything with Elise while flying b/c I had to -only b/c I wanted to, if that makes sense. Email me when you're about to leave - I have loads of tips for the plane flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suz! Nice to hear an update! I need to sit down one of these nights and write my life update too. What a good idea.
    It definitely sounds like you have a full life, and are keeping busy. As spring is approaching I am getting very excited. Normally I dread it changing from winter, because I know the dreadful summer is coming, but I am trying to keep and open mind, and trying to think how to fill Angelina, Zoe, and my calender full of fun things.
    I am also beginning to get an itch to do some spring cleaning. :) Loving the posts!
    I as well have some tips for flying with babies as lwb does, so if interested, shoot me an email. I traveled along with Angelina at 2 weeks and 3 months of her age.
    ***Also, I will be responding to your email a little later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, girls! Please do send travel tips!! They'll come in esp. handy in April when I fly alone with M.

    La, I'm liking Anne Lamott so far. I enjoy reading about how she came to faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey suz, thanks for reminding me. i've been meaning to comment on your old high school pal, sabrina. very impressive. she's really good. she'll be in the competition for awhile, no doubt. the idol girls are good, but the guys are slackin a bit this year, agree? i really like the beat boxer dude. way cool. he's basically the only guy i like. great, thorough update on your life. thanks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tines, I agree, Sabrina will be in it for awhile, though there is some competition no doubt. And totally, the girls have the boys beat, minus one or two. Blake is fantastic, I like the beat-boxing, like you. Any favorite to win yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing that you like American Idol!! I LOVE it! I have watched since season 1. I love the beat box guy too... I also like Phil. Sabrina is a great singer! I also really like Gina Glocksen! Who to win? Can't say yet... look out for my prediction post soon, though... maybe that will be my "random post Tuesday" on my blog next week! :)
    Suz, I also didn't know that you like Heroes! I absolutely LOVE that show too! I love TV a little too much I think, though. I also love CSI: Miami... infact, My husband told me that he is going to buy me the Hummer H2 for my birthday in May, and he is going have the CSI: Miami theme song in the CD player so as soon as I turn on the car it starts playing! ha ha ha! I will definitely have to record that and post it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, another Idol fan! We should have weekly chats about it, then. I also like Phil, forgot to mention that. Did you know that Phil and Chris S. are both worship leaders? Seems like a great group of people this year. I thin Sanjaya (sp?) is terrible and should get the boot ASAP.

    Heroes is quite possibly the most creative show to come to TV in the last 5 years. What a brilliant script!!

    That would be hilarious to have the music running through your new ride. Def. have to record it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree!! Sanjaya is HORRIBLE!!! We should start a protest... BOOT Sanjaya and Antonella!!! ha ha! And maybe Sundance Head just because of his name. ;)
    I did not know that Phil and Chris S. were worship leaders. That's pretty great!
    A weekly American Idol chat sounds fun! We should definitely do it.

    Oh... another great show that Mike and I have just started watching, and are now Completely hooked... Jericho! It's a great show! Well, off to watch Heroes from last night! Later!

    ReplyDelete