Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chi-town

How long to you have to be a resident to call a city by its nickname? I don't want to seem like a poser, but we have been calling Chicago this for several weeks now. Any insight?

After Patti graciously drove us to the airport on Friday night, we checked our bags and boarded our plane. Aron attempted to carry-on his Taylor guitar, but because it was a full flight, the flight attendant made him check it, much to his dismay. Fortunately, the guitar seems unharmed by its 2 hour flight in the cargo hold. We picked up our rental car and headed to our furnished apartment in downtown (all thanks to James Hardie). Aron's company is so amazing. Because our household items may not arrive until the second week of November, they have put us up in this apartment until we can comfortably live in our flat. Aron flies back to Dallas on Wednesday to oversee the movers packing up our stuff and will return Thursday morning.

We have sold most of the furniture we hoped to sell which is a huge blessing. And another blessing is that Hardie is going to pay for the shipment of all the baby items (crib, glider, car seat, tons of clothes, toys, etc) Aron's mother has been saving for our orginal arrival to OC. We couldn't be more pleased.

Today, Sunday, was the famous Chicago marathon; we actually got to see part of the race in person on our walk to church. The weather is about 40 degrees, so we bundled up and walked the mile to Grace Chicago (a Presbyterian congregation), Shel and Randall's church. We enjoyed the casual atmosphere, liturgy, music, and message of the morning. This church community is fairly small, but has many young people and several young families (with 3 expecting babies in the next 4 months). This excites us. We have a few other places we want to check out, but overall, we dug our experience at GC.

Aron begins his work week tomorrow and I, well, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with my time over the next 2-3 weeks. It's a bit frustrating to think about the impending birth of bebe M (less than 6 weeks to go) and not being able to get into our place and get it organized and ready. I have books to read, knitting to do, and places to explore, but that's about it. I think it's all going to get pretty old, pretty fast. But, I'm trying to be optimistic and just be patient with what God wants to teach me at this time.

Pictures: This is the view of the city from our 5th story apartment (ok, well, the pics aren't uploading for some reason, so I'll have to try again later...)

5 comments:

  1. my thoughts on the city nickname thing...i have been calling chicago chi-town in all my comments to you and i am not even remotely a resident, he he he. Before we moved to chattanooga we started calling it chat-town, much to annie's dismay :) i think it's something cool/fun to do to help you feel more connected to a place.

    glad you are safely moved into the temp. apartment...it seems like aron's company truly has looked out for you guys and that is so awesome!

    enjoy these next few weeks...i know it seems like you might go stir-crazy, but (trust me) it is a hidden blessing to have some good, quality, alone/down-time before bebe mckay's arrival! read and knit away my friend, and prepare, prepare, prepare...this next phase will be so different from now, yet so very exciting!

    i know this is a super long comment, but one last thing, suz. Roby has to travel to chi-town :) every june for the neocon convention...maybe next year owie and i can come with him and visit you! maybe roby can tag on an extra day to his trip so we can spend some time with you guys! hopefully it will work out!
    love ya!
    heth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you realize that your new home's nickname (the first part anyway) is the same name as your favorite drink? It's meant to be. ;)

    So glad A's guitar made it in one piece. I'm sure these next few weeks will fly by and sooner than you know it Miss M will be here. I hope you enjoy this time of leisure and relaxation...cause in a few shorts weeks you won't have much time to yourself. ;) At least you won't be in want of a Starbucks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Midwest! I must say I'm glad to hear there are still some good presby churches out there (as that is what I grew up). It's crazy that you guys are already moved--what a whirlwind! Any idea how long you'll be out this way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you've updated so soon! I checked in tonight in hopes to see what you've been up to since you left and here you are! Just a post away. ;) That's cool you already had a church to check out. Hope you enjoy some of that quiet time over the next few weeks ~ what's on your reading list? With sleepy eyes, I finished two more rows on that beanie last night. Miss you already. xo ~M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are there safely, my friend. Call Shel! I'm sure she'd love to hang or explore the city with you. Fun that you went to church with them; I thought you might like, although I know it's small, so wasn't sure about that, although Firewheel was smaller-ish too. Anyway, I echo The Issacs' comments about enjoying this time before bebe is born. I TOTALLY remember the weeks before Elise arrived and just being SO ready and SO tired of pregnancy, but I have thought over and over so many times about how lucky you are to have had these months since school let out to just hang and chill, and be at home. I know the grass is always greener, but I would have loved to had some time like that vs. working right up till the day I delivered!

    ReplyDelete