Thursday, February 15, 2007

Several firsts

These last 3 weeks have proved to be a major turning point in my further embrace of motherhood. Once Maggie hit 6 weeks her fussies peaked (which is what the experts say happen to most babies), so now her cries are more predicatable and this makes for more peace in our home. Not that we don't have off times every few days or so, we do, but overall, Maggie has become more and more 'readable,' if that makes sense. She is growing more and more alert with each passing day and we love when we come to get her and she greets us with that huge grin of hers.

Here are several firsts for us in the past 3 weeks:
*Maggie has been sleeping through the night for about 3 weeks now and is seemingly prolonging it every week. Aron feeds her at 11/11:30pm each night and we don't hear from her until about 6am. She starts to make some noises, so I go in and put back in her bink (our word for pacifier) and she drifts back into sleep for another hour or so. So most nights, she sleeps between 6-8 hours. Last night she actually got 8. Imagine that!

*We had dinner with our friends Shel and Randall last Friday night and we took Maggie with us (usually, people are coming to us). Maggie slept on their bed and did fantastic. This was a big moment for me as I realized that we can now tote her around with us for longer stretches of time.

*On Sunday, after the Chocolate Festival that I blogged about earlier, we went to our favorite local coffee shop and fed Mags there. It was a breeze and so nice not to feel like we "had" to get home to feed her. She took her bottle with ease, played with us for awhile, even gave smiles and coos to 2 other occupants sitting in chairs across from us. When she started to get fussy and was headed back down for her nap, we just put her in the carseat and left.

*I ran errands yesterday, digging my car out of 5-8 inches of snow (not sure which). This was big because I had Maggie, of course, and well, it seems cumbersome to get out in the cold and snowy weather. But, I did, and felt even more empowered in my new role as a mom.

*I hung out with a neighbor on Monday morning. Angie and her 2-year-old daughter, Tagan, came over and had coffee. Tagan is facinated with babies and immediately went looking for M. It was very cute! Our landlord gave Angie my name and number back in January and we have just now been able to hang out and you know what? I really like her and feel like we could be friends! We are going to have dinner with them on Monday night, so the hubbies can meet. A new mom friend who lives within walking distance--how great is that?!

*Lastly, at the grocery store today, Maggie ended up waking up while I was in the store, so I just talked with her as I shopped and she was wide-eyed and smiling the entire time in the store. Usually, she sleeps whenever I am out and about. I feel like she is getting so big.

Two weeks ago, when Lindsey visited, I was all but ready to leave Chicago and move back to OC. Of course, that is still an option for us, but I don't feel such an urgent need to do it at this moment and I am feeling like I'd like to stick it out here for a little while longer. I think with the aforementioned moments for me, it's helped me to realize that I can do motherhood here and do it well.

7 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Suzanne! I am so proud of you! Not to mention happy for you! Meeting friends, and learning about being a mother! Being a mother is hard, but it's rewarding, and becomes really fun!
    Zoe has been cooing and smiling a lot in the last few weeks too. She all in all is a very content little girl. Since she was born 10 weeks premature, things such milestones as these are delayed. She will be 4 months old tomorrow!!!! Oh wow, I am just realizing this! But, her corrected age (meaning the age she should be... if she was born at term) is only 7 weeks. :) So, I think it's exciting that you and I are kind of experiencing the same things! Yes, this is my second child, but having them 4 1/2 years apart you tend to forget a lot. :) Ugh, enough blubbering! Glad you are adjusting! I wish it would snow more here!! Although, I don't know that I would want to dig my car out of that much snow! ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that everything is going so well, it sounds like you and Maggie are having a great time! Way to go on her sleeping through the night. Hudson still likes to get up between 5 and 530 to cry and play (once we get him out of bed he just laughs and plays until 6). I wish we could get Mags and Hudson together for a play date....I think they would have a blast. Have a great weekend and I can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Suzanne! Nobody ever said motherhood would be easy. It took me forever to feel comfortable going out of the house with my guys. You are doing a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. word. maggie looks JUST like Aron and the McKay crew. awesome. ss

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you approach motherhood in such a thoughtful manner. Its as if we're watching a documentary on the life of a new mother, the challenges and trials, the joys and the realizations. Each triumph is a huge feeling of renewed freedom. You'll feel this accomplishment when you master outings with two children, then with three. Each time is just as wonderful as the first success. You're doing great Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear this, Suz. I know I've said this before, but for a woman the transition to motherhood is the single most difficult one she'll make in her life and it seems like you are doing it marvelously! I'm so happy for you as you experience the little joys and triumphs and for the confidence it's giving you to keep going.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys!

    ReplyDelete