Tuesday, July 31, 2007

elusive mouse

Aron called me while in Florida to tell me he had seen a small mouse scamper across the floor. So, he set out 2 traps with peanut butter and assured me the mouse would be caught soon. However, on Saturday, I was rummaging around in my purse when I pulled out a ziplock bag of trail mix. I noticed immediately that the bag had a hole and trail mix was spilling out. What the heck?! It had to be the mouse. Aron dumped the contents out in the kitchen and called me in. Little, black poop dotted the paper towel landscape amidst the remaining trail mix. I was horrified! And here's why: the purse hangs on our wall coat rack; therefore, the mouse had to *climb a coat* to get into the purse! Oh. My. Gosh. Then this morning, we awoke to find that a bag of candied orange slices and been nibbled into, sugar littered all around the bag. And get this: 2 slices were dragged 20 feet away (off the table!) under our TV. Aron has seen this mouse and tells me it is small. Now, I'm not so sure. We promptly put the candy in the trap instead (it seems to be the mouse's preference right now). I'm seriously freaking out though. What if this mouse climbs in bed with Maggie?! I need some advise or assurance here, people! Nevertheless, I will keep you, gentle reader, apprised of our mouse hunt.

13 comments:

  1. Whatever you do, don't watch Lady and the Tramp. It will freak you out. That's what came to mind when I read your blog. Create a united front and get rid of it. Put traps all around that freakin' house! Down with Mickey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tam, that's the same image in my mind, too, except that was a rat and this is a mouse. :) still, very creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing out loud! Very creative writing--although serious bummer about the orange slices, I'm not one to share my candy with anyone--human or otherwise :) Borrow someone's cat for a week, nobody needs poo in their food. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say cat too! LOL. When we lived in Lake Elsinore we had too many mouse "friends" coming for unwelcome visits. Mouse traps weren't helping much, because mice are smart... they would slowly pull the "snack" off the trap, eat it, and run. So, we got a cat. Which, we have many funny stories to tell... thanks to that Cat named Thomas. In about 1-2 weeks, the mouse population dwindled to nothing! I agree... borrow a cat for sure! ;) ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I wonder if Tali and/or Edmund would be willing to stay for a few days for free room and board. Only cost, a bit more work to earn their food! :)

    I'm so sorry to hear about the mouse problem. What does your landlord say about this? I'm sure they have to do something ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is that you need a dog. :) They will alert you when the mouse is wandering about. We've had one before and I'm with ya ~ they creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh, good idea about the cats! this sounds dreadful and scary! I would be scared too -- hope you catch the vile creature soon!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have abby on the next flight to chicago, she doen't have any claws and would probably just lick it to death but I think she'd be up for it to get out of cry filled, box filled home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probably shouldn't tell you the story of our "super rat". These critters (rat/mouse)...are smart. Borrow a whole bunch of cats for a few days and your problem should be solved. In the meantime, I would really clean the floors and counters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for all the suggestions! I should have mentioned, however, that I am TERRIBLY allergic to cats. Our landlords downstairs said I could borrow theirs for the night, but I know my allergies would flair up. Too bad!

    Laura, what is this story? Maybe you should tell me after we catch it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had a possum in my closet once in california. neither the cats nor the dog would go near it though. we put a trail of cat food from the closet to the door leading outside and he was gone within a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. kim, an opossum?! I think I'm going to be sick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once you catch the critter...I'll fill you in on super rat!

    ReplyDelete