Sunday, July 29, 2007

winding down

Mags and I returned Tuesday from a week-long exursion to see my folks in Florida. We had a marvelous time, relaxing and exploring various places. We enjoyed several good meals at a mom and pop diner called Sweet Mamas, ate delicious seafood at a local joint in Tampa, watched a movie, shopped, visited both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, talked, and of course, played with Mags. My mom gave her a tubie in the sink every night, and both dad and mom read plenty of books to her. Dad bought her a beautiful Mother Goose Treasury pop-up book, to which Jack Be Nimble's leg is now missing (Maggie is quite quick!). The days we visited the water were both extremely hot so we slathered Mags up with tons of block, set upon the beach to dip our toes and play on the sand, and take some pictures. However, to my surprise, she didn't like the water. At all. In fact, the day we visited the Atlantic, she fussed almost the entire time; granted, she hadn't had a good nap all day, so I know that was part of it, but still. When the water would come up to her little feet, she would start to whine and we'd have to pick her up. I took a few candid pics of her and sent some via text to Aron. His response was, "Are you sure she's my daughter?" :) The day at the Gulf was a little better, the water warmer, and Maggie in better spirits; however, she still did not relish being in the water. I know deep down she is a California girl, though! On the way home from Tampa, the heavens opened and the heaviest deluge I have ever been in ensued. For over half an hour, we were in torrential rain; I was awestruck. Cars were pulling off to the side of the freeway to wait it out, which seemed the most dangerous to me. We pressed on and made it safely home. The trip was wonderful, refreshing, enjoyable. Maggie rolled over completely while away! And she is actually teething something awful right now, and I'm actually convinced she's getting in 4 new teeth (on top). One has popped through and I'm waiting for the others. That said, the last few days of our visit, she was crankier than usual and the plane ride home was quite rough. She screamed on and off for about 45 minutes; I felt terrible. But, it was our first not-so-good flight, so I figure one leg out of the 9 she has flown isn't that bad. At least I know we can make it through. It's good to be home, back with Aron, and getting back into our daily routine here. I'm posting a few more shots of our visit; we took so many good ones, it's hard to pick!



10 comments:

  1. What cute pictures!! Sounds like you had a great time! :) Florida is fun!! :) We went last year. Wait until she gets older and you can take her to Disney World! It's amazing to see the kids' faces!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked seeing Maggie with your parents...that's so great! Don't feel bad about her not being in love with the ocean, Kaleb was terrified of it! I'm glad y'all had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Mags. The seersucker hat is adorable. So fun that she rolled over and your parents got to see - ah, she's getting so big. I loved that she has already torn off part of the book (although I'm sure you're not!). I have had to learn the hard way with pop-up books and leaving Elise alone with them too; they just can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys had a great trip. We too are now home, I will blog about it when I am a little more rested. That is really funny about her teeth, because Hudson has had 2 new teeth break through a little and I think some more are on the way. Well, we will have to figure out a time to talk soon, I would love to catch up (it has been too long).

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the details about your trip! i am so glad that your parents got to enjoy maggie, and i am sure they were too! as far as maggie's love (or lack there of) of the ocean... i'm a california girl who doesn't like the water. i like going to the beach, but i have no need to be in the water. on the sand, under an umbrella, with a good book and a friend next to me is all i need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, what is a tubie?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you two got to spend time with your folks! I'm amazed at how much traveling you've done with Mags. She's a trooper! I feel for you though for those 45 minutes. Don't worry about the ocean. I'm sure she'll grow into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kim, i think a tubie could possibly be the British word for a bath. a friend of mine used it while we were in colorado and it just stuck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gabby is the same way, she wanted nothing to do with the ocean when we visited, either time! Caelan on the other hand is a surfer girl at heart--now is it because she lived the first 6 months of her life at the beach? Maybe--but Gabby was on the way before we moved back to the Midwest, so there's got to be some California in there somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun! I'm glad you had that time with your family. As for the water...don't worry she'll love it by next summer if not sooner. G didn't like it at all when we went to Hawaii but loves it now...he is even trying to go under by himself. :)

    As for #7- I"m still working on it...had so much going on that I keep falling asleep when I'm reading it...over 1/2 way. So I'll make my comments soon enough..plus if you are still up or better yet up before me...I"m calling today!

    ReplyDelete