Friday, July 13, 2007

the ringing bell

Derek Webb's newest release, titled above and linked right, is being dubbed by Paste magazine (yes, Mel, I am reading it) as his "masterstroke," being given five stars (not easy to come by). The lyrics are inspiring, poingant, and even humorous and the music folksy and beautiful. Webb, once of Caedmon's Call, makes candid observations about Christian fundmentalism and a variety of social issues. A favorite song for both Aron and me is "This Too Shall Be Made Right," detaling the hope of the life to come. Album reviewer Jason Killingsworth writes, "The Ringing Bell is a perfectly concise musical statement from an artist whose auspicious moment has finally arrived. Easily one of the year's best records."

6 comments:

  1. I will have to check this out. Knowing that you and A aren't huge fans of "Christian music" the fact that you like this cd so much says something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't bring myself to read Paste, although I'm genuinely proud of their now five years.

    Jason Killingsworth was one of my favorite guys there, and no slouch in the writing department. You know how some reviewers apparently like everything they hear or see? Not the case with Jason; for him to speak so highly of this CD means something.

    The title of the disc is quite evocative.

    (BTW, Suz, the link to P&K's blog doesn't seem to be working.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Gomez and now Derek Webb...I think I'm making an impact on you guys. Of course, I still have a long way to go since you are the ones that turned me onto Sufjan Stevens.

    My favorite line from that song is "I'm trading comfort for human life, and that's not just murder, it's suicide"...very powerful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt and I love Derek Webb..a personal favorite is the song Mockingbird off his 2005 album.....love the new album too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear it! We love Derek Webb. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. shel, i'm sure it would be hard, given the history. it's impressive to know that jason wouldn't highly recommend everything he listens to. you and i will listen to the album next time we hang out. k changed her blog title, and now it's corrected in the link. :)

    b-rad, actually we have liked DW for many years. but, you do get the gomez credit! i love that line too. powerful and provocative.

    s&s, you must get the album; steve, you'll love it.

    rach, ah, mockingbird loft! how i miss thee.

    ReplyDelete