Saturday, January 5, 2008

good eats

Aron and I set a monetary limit and bought eachother stocking stuffers this year. In fact, I think this will probably be a yearly tradition for us because well, if you look back over the course of this past year, we spent money in so many fun ways: travel, Aron bought me new jewelry for my first Mother's Day, and we moved and bought a house. Yet, I still think it's fun to get eachother something for Christmas, so this seems to be a good compromise--a few simple things that don't break the bank. But, I digress...the cookbook pictured here was one of my stocking stuffers and I'm already itching to cook from it!! I've been perusing recipes today and told Shannon that I want to make several dishes from it this coming week. I'm sure most of you have heard of Jessica Seinfeld's new cookbook--she teaches you how to integrate good foods into dishes that your kids would never suspect. Yum! I don't think Maggie is all that picky just yet (though she turned up her nose this week to most of her standbys--yogurt, cheese, carrots, apples, etc), but I would love to be armed with some healthy, tasty dishes for when she might become that way.

If you have this book, I would love to hear what dishes you loved and which you could pass on.

12 comments:

  1. I have heard of this book, and it has come highly recommended by many! I even thought about giving it to a friend of mine because she literally makes her kids picky eaters. I hate that!

    While my kids aren't picky at all, I have no real need for it, but look forward to hearing what kinds of dishes you make from it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. So far the only thing I have made is the quesadillas with butternut squash and navy beans - very tasty. Hudson isn't much of a picky eater either, but I think it is always good to give them a few extra nutrients. We will have the "regular" fruits or veggies with our meals but then there will be the extra stuff in the main dish.....what can it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shey, i don't think ones kids necessarily need to be deemed picky eaters for this book to be helpful and good. i think one can always pack in extra nutrition for good measure. :)

    erin, i thought those "cigars" looked good; will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i might have to check this out...let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose you are right. :) But, I don't cook. LOL. Mike does. And, we mostly go by his recipes, and Cooking Light. We are on this extreme health kick right now anyway, and out kids get exactly what we make too. Angelina LOVES salad, and just about every veggie out there. :) It's nice to see that by having her try everything (including sushi) that she is now very well rounded and loves just about every food. ;) Maybe someday I will check this out. LOL. But, as much as I hate to cook.... not sure I will or not. I do wish I liked cooking. But, not so much. I love to bake, though! OK, this comment is way too long now, because I keep rambling. Bye! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. roby is actually at the store right now buying ingredients to make owen the quesadillas, grilled cheese, and buttered noodles. i'll let you know if any of them end up being hits wityh the o-man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK...we had a party last week when i baked my first butternut squash! So far we have had the chocolate cake with beets...very tasty but greg did not care for the icing so I put regular icing since it was his b-day. And then we did the tacos with butternut squash...so good!!! very tasty and easy. this week on the menu is the spaghetti pie, burgers, and meatball soup.

    We should have a puree party soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to hear your reports. I think it's going to take me a week or two before I get to this. Maybe when we come visit we should do a few together and see if we can trick our girls! Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, this book looks good. also love the previous post w/ mags updates. love that stage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your family picture in your profile! Just had to say that--

    Have you heard of Blender Baby Foods? This book has some crazy recipes in it that I would like to eat. Forget feeding them to the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to hear your comments on this book. You know my kid...I mean..Brad is the pickiest person I know. He nearly is just meat and potatoes so to sneak things in without his notice would be perfect. Sigh... I'm married to a child!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for all the recs, friends!

    tam, you totally had me laughing out loud! yes, i actually think this is a book right up Brad's alley...well, right up yours as you are the main cook. i think we'll have you over very soon, and I'll make the entire meal from the book...apps, main dish, sides, and dessert. seriously. don't tell B thought. :)

    ReplyDelete