Sunday, January 27, 2008

juno


My friend Rachel and I went to see this delightful film yesterday morning. If you see any new movie, see this one. It's heartfelt and strikingly honest, a quality I deeply appreciate in film. Although there is some language and sexual references, I can look past this to see the beauty in this rich film. Not only is it humorous and quick-witted, but thematically, it highlights adoption vs. abortion, familial support in a tough situation, and sticking close to your friends, no matter the choices they have made.
The cast is spectacular, specifically the newcomer, Ellen Page, who plays Juno. And the script itself is outstanding; throughout the movie, I kept leaning over to Rachel and commenting on how well-written it was. I would love to see Diablo Cody win for his screenplay.

Using Celeste's rating system, I give this an S/W in NO way.
Her system is explained here:
"A movie will fall into one of four categories.
1. Strong, Weak in NO Way - this is a rating for an outstanding film. Perfect in every way for its genre. This is not an easily given rating.
2. Strong, Weak in A Way - this is a good film but something was lacking. It just didn't quite do a perfect job but was still a great movie, and can be highly recommended.
3. Weak, Strong in A way - this a still an okay film but would usually be a rental. Hard to swallow the price you might have just paid at the movie for this film. Unfortunately, a LOT of films will fall into this category.
4. Weak, Strong in NO Way - this is a crap film. A complete waste of time. Everything done poorly. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth kind of film.
Now, understand that my idea of S/W in No way is obviously objective and you take it or leave it. But it's a good system. You'll find my reviews on the side with a simple rating. No commentary. However, if you want a commentary, I'll be glad to give you that through e-mail."
I'd like to get a bar going on the side with this system. I'll have to chat with my computer-savy husband and get his help. :)

5 comments:

  1. I have heard about this movie too, and heard that it is very good. :) I will have to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve and I are going to see this on Wed night with some of the high-schoolers. We can talk about it afterwards. Can't wait to see it! And it actually came to the Bishop theatre--woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. diablo cody is actually a chick who used to be a stripper - and i'd say came up with a pretty sweet script. and many of us up here Vancouver way are pumped this movie was filmed locally. one of the best films i've seen in a long time - though i also just saw No Country for Old Men and that was good yet wierd in a Coen-esque way. have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. a new favorite...love the soundtrack too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie is absolutely perfect in the genre it's in. It doesn't miss anything. I still stand by my rating.
    Strong, Weak in NO Way. If you haven't seen it before Oscar night....shame on you!

    ReplyDelete