Friday, May 2, 2008

children's reading corner


A big thanks to my mom for sending Maggie Gallop! After reading and re-reading this book dozens of times, I knew it would be my next choice for this post. Because I'm feeling a bit lazy, I'm cutting and pasting the Amazon write-up of the book. Does that count as citing my source? If you want to give a sweet gift to a child, this is it! Both younger and older ones will be mesmerized.

"There's never before been a book like Gallop! Employing a patented new technology called Scanimation, each page is a marvel that brings animals, along with one shining star, to life with art that literally moves. A first book of motion for kids, it shows a horse in full gallop and a turtle swimming up the page. A dog runs, a cat springs, an eagle soars, and a butterfly flutters. Created by Rufus Butler Seder, an inventor, artist, and filmmaker fascinated by antique optical toys, Scanimation is a state-of-the-art six-phase animation process that combines the "persistence of vision" principle with a striped acetate overlay to give the illusion of movement. It harkens back to the old magical days of the kinetoscope, and the effect is astonishing, like a Muybridge photo series springing into action—or, in terms kids can relate to, like a video without a screen. Complementing the art is a delightful rhyming text full of simple questions and fun, nonsense replies: Can you gallop like a horse? giddyup-a-loo! Can you strut like a rooster? cock-a-doodle-doo! Every child who opens the book will be amazed—and so will every parent."
Click here for more info.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a good one! A book we got Zoe recently that she likes is called, "Twinkle Twinkly Little Star". It's SO adorable, and she LOVES it! The stars on each page are 3-dimensional, so she loves to rub them. Also, another book called "Me and My Dad". VERY cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I took the girls to the library yesterday and thought of all your suggestions and wished I had them written down with me. I'm writing this one down and will check it out for the girls when we return this stack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this book, I love it. I know a lot of moms who have recently picked it up at Costco. I think it is neat-o!!

    ReplyDelete