Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving in pictures

Sorry, no pictures of the cook (I didn't actually shower until after it was all over!). We hope you all enjoyed the holiday with your loved ones. Despite Maggie having a cold, the day turned out wonderfully. We stayed indoors all day long, cooking and just being together. I couldn't believe that we basically had all the dishes ready at the same time! I give this credit to my husband's help in prep work the night before (chopping and bagging all vegetables), and my double ovens. Who knew they could come in so handy?! Overall, our meal turned out lovely and tasty. The turkey, as I mentioned previously, was my first attempt at preparing and cooking. I think I expected it to be SUPER flavorful, but it really wasn't. Aron said that unless you smoke it or deep-fry it (what they do in Texas!), you really can only expect turkey to be one of two things: dry or moist. Ours, thankfully, was very moist. So, I would say it was successful! Our least favorite dish was the scalloped pumpkin and spinach (rather bland), but Maggie LOVED the spinach and kept scooping up handfuls. And, I'm sad to say the pumpkin pie turned out poorly. It was way too runny (how is that possible?!) and we chalked it up too much sour cream and too many eggs called for in the receipe (this is most likely my first Cooking Light recipe that we will never use again). Instead, we ate some egg nog gelato and sipped coffee with mint truffle creamer into the wee hours of the night.

We have much to be grateful for: a good and gracious God committed to making right what was once broken, wonderful family and friends all around the US, an enjoyable and growing marriage, a delightful baby girl, a new home, Aron's good job, a church we love, and all the little things we take for granted.






9 comments:

  1. Okay, everything looked amazing - and the turkey turned out wonderfully. Great job on your first one! You will be admired by all for having this skill. Loved the pics of Mags enjoying her spinach. Okay the eggnog gelato and coffee with mint truffle creamer sounded delish! What a delightful day.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how fun is that mags! she looks like a blast. & the food looks fantastic! great job! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie looked TOO happy eating her Thanksgiving feast! Be proud of your turkey...last year was my first, and I made Tyrone come look at it when it was done. Not for any good reason...just "Look, I made a turkey....and it really looks like a turkey!" Glad y'all had an enjoyable time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable is that last picture?! LOL. We had a FAB dinner which I will blog about later. :) I went shopping this morning which started at 4am and I am too tired! Night! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your food, and Turkey looked Awesome! ;) Thank goodness my husband cooks almost everything because I think my turkey would be HORRIBLE! Mike smoked ours. Yummm! Night -- again. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sista! The food looks so yummy--way to go! Wish we could have tasted your delicious home-cooking. Maybe next year. Love that last picture of Mags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful...happy thanks and giving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looked so yummy and fun...and of all the pumpkin pies i've had (and i'm quite picky) the best is homemade crust and the recipe of the back of the libby's can. Actually Costco's pie is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - what a feast you cooked up. It looks so good. Congrats on cooking your first turkey! Mags appears to have grow up a lot since you left Chicago. She and her daddy look very happy (could it be the full tummies?!) Glad you are doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete