Tuesday, January 26, 2010

this one's for you, Tina!

My good friend Tina passed along this recipe several months ago and it's been in my "Recipes and Nutrition" folder in my Gmail for that long. Tina is a self-proclaimed health nut and loves to cook and make good tasting snacks for her kids. I love picking her brain for new food ideas. I've meant to make these "Chocolate Earth Balls" for a number of months and now that I'm finally feeling better, I set the recipe aside to make this week with Mags. After a fun visit to the park with Lindsey and Shelby today, we got to work. These were very easy and very tasty. Even my skeptical husband liked them, which is saying alot! You can obviously omit any ingredients you don't care for. I even think the basic pb/honey/cocoa powder ball would be totally yummy!

Chocolate Earth Balls (courtesy of Tina and Whole Foods Market Cookbook)

1 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. honey (I used Agave Nectar and it tasted wonderful)
2 tsp. carob powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (I used the latter; I do not like carob!)
1/2 c. raisins (I omitted)
3/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/4 c. finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc)

Mix the peanut butter, honey, and carob or cocoa powder until well combined. Stir in raisins if using and 2 Tbs. of the coconut. Stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate 1-2 hours. Then, place remaining coconut, sesame seeds, and coconut in 3 separate bowls. Rolls pb mixture into small balls, then roll in each of the bowls. Arrange on a plate, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and put in freezer for 20-30 minutes to firm up. Enjoy!

Licking the bowl!
Yes, brother got a few spoonfuls, too!

5 comments:

  1. YUM!!! these are great. i always nix the raisins too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzanne! We made these yesterday! Well, sort of :) We did the basic ball and then rolled in chopped walnuts, yum yum!!! I had to restrain myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just found a few recipes like this that I want to try. Sounds soooo yummy. I think I need to print this out and try it out after my next detox.
    I LOVE how much you cook with your little ones. I really need to do this with my gang more. I KNOW they would love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mine are in the fridge now, gonna be a great after supper treat! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! suz, i'm finally checking out your blog at mels. love checking your new posts & seeing your pics! and thanks for the props on the earth ball recipe:) such a good recipe. i'm hoping to make some this week. so glad you liked. i miss reading your blog!!!:( xoxo

    ReplyDelete