Friday, December 29, 2006

Musings of a momma

I'm not sure how to put into words all the emotions I am going through, but I think it would be good for me to try. Motherhood...what a ride it has already been. All of my life, I have wanted to be a mother and here I am. It's hard to believe that I am somebody's mother: this is the thought my mom said she had when she gave birth to me; this statement is a sobering one. I don't really feel like a mother yet. Maybe that seems like a strange thing to say. Maggie will be 3 weeks old on Monday and while not much time has passed, the concept of time escapes me. My days and nights feel much longer than the 24 hours they possess. Why is that? I'm sure it's because our lifestyle has changed. I no longer can get out of the house quickly if I am craving a Starbucks Chai, I can not nap whenver I want, nor can I pick up a book and read when I get the urge. I have to work around Maggie's routine, which is fine and natural, but an adjustment to say the least. After she is changed and fed, has had some wake time where we talk/sing/read/play with her, and she goes back down for a nap, I realize that I have a 2 hour window in front of me and I wonder how best to use it. Do I shower now? Do I make breakfast? Do I clean the bathroom? Do I read my Bible? Do I make a phone call? I'm not sure how best to use my time; I'm trying to take it in stride, but it's challenging. I also realize that right now I am adjusting to this new lifesytle with Aron's help and yet, he returns to work on Tuesday. Will I be able to make it alone? Yes, I know I will, but right now each day without him here seems extremely daunting. When my parents left last week, I realized how alone we are here. When it was just us in Chicago, I didn't care so much; I knew we'd make friends and feel at home eventually. The same is still true, but seems like a greater challenge now that we have a baby. I realize how much I miss family, how strange it is not to be able to walk next door and spend some time with my sister. I miss our friends. Part of me wishes we had moved back to Orange County so we could be near some of our closest friends. Shannon and Steve would also visit more frequently, as his family still lives there, so we'd see them more often. Aron's parents are there too and his sister is up north. Yet looking back at our decision, we felt it best to make the move to Chicago. I may be questioning that some now. Deep down I know that we'll be fine, we'll get to know more people, get plugged into our church, I'll meet other mothers, and I'll learn to do the daily routine alone while Aron is at work, but right now I feel overwhelmed with the next few months. I've been in prayer throughout each day and talk with Aron openly about how I'm feeling so I guess I'm on the right track. I also have several really great friends who call me regularly to check in (thanks, sista, La, Linds, and Shel for pursuing me!). To sum up, motherhood is a huge adjustment for me, harder than I anticipated; yet, I have to have hope for what is to come--that I will adjust, that Maggie will fall into more and more of a routine, and that my new lifestyle will just become part of who I am.

6 comments:

  1. hi suz...i just e-mailed you a few minutes ago and i am just now reading your blog entry. just know that what you are feeling is extremely normal and i am glad that you feel comfortable sharing it with us. i can honestly say i know how you feel because when we moved from orange county to chattanooga, we knew noone..i was along throughout my whole pregnancy, save some acquaintances, and didn't even have visitors at the hospital when owen arrived. the first few weeks my mom and roby's parents visited, and then they left. and then rob went back to work. and i was right where you were girl. it takes time, but you will meet people...you will get plugged in...you will get more adjusted to mommyhood and maggie's schedule...you will feel human again and eventually get some sleep. sometimes it is hard to believe all those things when you are in the thick of everything. one thing that REALLY helped me was attending a new mommy group once a month at the hospital where i delivered...i actually met two of my closest tn friends there and we have continued to hang out weekly with our three one-year-olds. check with your hospital to see if they offer something similar. i think i started taking owen there when he was a month or two old...it was a safe first outing for him and gave me some sanity meeting some other mamas in the same boat.

    and i know what you mean about wanting to be a mother for so long and envisioning it, and then not quite feeling like one yet. it eventually sinks in, or actually settles over you rather...a comforting feeling actually...wow. i am someone's mother. sometimes it takes awhile for this to happen. everything is so new for you. even if we are not selfish people in general, we all fall into our little routines in life...whether it is enjoying our favorite book on a whim, knitting whenever our hearts desire or running for a much needed starbucks fix...and all of the sudden, we can't do those things anymore, or at least not in our timing. maggie is a little world ruler right now for you, but that is a good thing. it is quite an adjustment, but one i think you will grow to enjoy because you will feel the accomplishment in it at some point.
    this post is way long...he he he. hope this helped a bit. i am always here and if you need to chat or some sanity, give me a ring!
    thinking of ya and praying for your new mommy transition!
    heth*

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, you are in the midst of some crazy transitions. Just know that I echo all that Heather said and you can be sure that scores of fellow moms would echo it as well. I read a book right after I had E - "The Power of Mother Love" - did I give you a copy? If so, try to read it as you have time. If not, let me know and I'll send you one. But in that book she talks about how the transition to motherhood is the single most difficult transition that a woman will ever make (she also says that the ease in which a woman makes that transition depends largely on the support of her husband, so sounds like A is already doing a stellar job with that!). I truly believe this - motherhood is the hardest thing you'll ever do, but it's so worth it. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, that maybe you're even wondering if you've made some big mistake or wishing for your "old" life back. All of this is NORMAL. Having a baby is a little like marriage in the sense that you don't realize how much work it will take and how much it will require of you till after it's all said and done, but like Heather said, in time things will normalize a bit. In the meantime, you've got scores of friends who are supporting you, cheering you on, and going through this new phase of life with you.

    Love you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl!!! I knot too well where you are right now and my heart and prayers are with you and Aron and Maggie. Hopefully we can see each other soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on your friends' words above - it really is all so normal - what you're describing. Unfortunately you have the added challenge of new surroundings in the mix. You can do this Suz!

    I remember our first night home w/Z - I just stared at him thinking "what do I do with you now?" We're on yr 13 and I can't believe how time has passed ~ I miss the sweet smell of his baby skin, his baby chuckles, having him fall asleep on my chest... I know it's overwhelming, but it's fleeting. Steal every moment you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. matt, rachel & baby-2-bDecember 30, 2006 at 9:55 PM

    I'm so happy to see a little of Suz's heart it's such a hard thing to open up to others yet it's so freeing, keep it up. We're you're extended support group and love you all so don't ever forget that!

    I reading this and wishing it was already july and we could be walking through this together, I feel like I could be a better source of encouragement if I had any clue to what you're going through and feeling. It's so helpful to hear thoughts of doubts about decisions you made as we look at an awesome opportunity for Matt in New York I wonder about leaving all my wonderful friends and family who like me have waited sooooooooooo long for this miracle. I think about you often and knew that you were struggling some and wondered would I struggle too? Who knows, but all I know is that I've never been happier in my entire life and I can through your writing that you feel the same way and I can't wait to learn from you come july! I love you girl!

    big hugs, overflowing love & bunches of skittles....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a hero...you are Maggie's hero and neither you nor she know it yet!! Unlike the others I do not know what you are going through, but it will be nice to know that it is a very normal thing to encounter as a first time mother. We are hoping and praying for you all each day. Keep livin' it up.....and don't worry about cleaning the bathroom. I haven't done it in a while and I only have 2 dogs and one husband!!

    ReplyDelete