Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Day 1 update

Yesterday was my first day going at it alone at home with Mags. Overall, it went pretty smoothly; huge praise! We did the usual routine of feeding, wake time, and napping. I even ventured out to the park for a walk with her. During our outing, she fell asleep (of course) and I used the opportunity to call a few friends and catch up. It felt so good to be out with her, knowing that I took her up and down the stairs and got her all strapped in alone. I'm sure this doesn't seem like that big of an accomplishment to many, but for me, it was a huge boost of encouragement! She did have one major meltdown when we got home; sigh. Those are the WORST; I feel bereft and unsure of how to soothe her after I've tried it all. You just have to play it out and try all that you can until she calms down. I took a short nap when she napped in the afternoon. Because Aron left for work at 6:15am that morning, he got home around 4:30pm, right after I had finished a feeding. He walked in the door and I handed her over to him. He played with her and put her down to nap. It was great to have him back in the house at night because I was able to wash and fold some laundry, cook dinner, do the dishes, pack his lunch, write some thank yous, catch up on email, and straighten up a few things around the house. Productive! It felt so good.

Today is Aron’s long day at work…sigh. He actually has a meeting tonight with the CEO of James Hardie who is in town. It’s from 4-6pm, then he still might have some work left bec. it’s Wednesday—the long day. I’m not sure how it’ll go. Overall, yesterday was a positive experience, so this boosts my outlook for the day.

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there, sista. Take one day at a time. You are doing an amazing job with Maggie...don't ever doubt that. I'm praying for you daily, and if you ever need to talk, I'm here. Wish I could be there to help and just hang out with you. ;( Who knows what the future holds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! great job suz! sounds like you're doing so well. getting out for a walk even. bravo! big accomplishment my friend! ptL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to that feeling of small things being major accomplishments. For me, it's with culture shock. In some ways you feel as if you're learning in reverse rather than building on what you already know.

    I'm enjoying reading your blog and joining you in your journey. You're not alone, your community is global! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you for getting out and about with Maggie. You are such a great mommy! Just one day at a time and as Greg reminds me it's ok for babies to cry. :) Can't wait to talk next Thursday- love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben's Oklahoma GrandmaJanuary 4, 2007 at 7:28 AM

    I was remembering how my first time alone your mom came and stayed with me!! I'm not sure where you and Shannon were, but she spent the day in Norman where we were living. Small things are huge accomplishments, and each day you learn something new. Praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny I was talking to my cousin Susan last night and I said something about being excited to get settled where ever we end up and being able to spend some time figuring out this whole being a mother and parent....she laughed and said honey, I've been doing it for 17 years and I have no clue.....I laughed but it really got me thinking and then I read your blog and it hit me how right she is....all we can expect of ourselves is to give all of ourselves if you do that then you're doing it right and Maggie will benefit from it and someday even know and acknowledge she's knows how much you've given to her in love, time, commitment, faith, support, encouragement it may not be until she's 30 :o) but it will happen!

    miss you tons, love you bunches....

    ReplyDelete