Monday, January 15, 2007

Mema and Pops




Aron's folks were in town this weekend (to see Mags more than us :) and we enjoyed our time with them. Saturday we ran some errands at Target and got coffee at Starbucks. I introduced Mike to the superb Chai's at The Coffee Beanery (I've already won over several fans--it's better than Starbucks' Chai) and he thought it tasted good. Later, Laurie and I were able to hit a few fun stores in the area, including 2 baby stores. She purchased Maggie some cute, winter Robeez shoes for next year. We found a to-do-for French bakery, purchased too many goodies, grabbed lunch for the 4 of us and came back to the flat. After lunch and Maggie's feeding, we all piled in the car and headed downtown to Millenium Park. Immediately stepping out of the car, we were exposed to some harsh Chicago weather--wind chill made it feel in the low 20s! Determind, we walked through the park, over the bridge, and under the Bean (pictured below). It is indeed a beautiful place and will be fun to come to in the warmer summer months. Laurie was an incredible asset to helping with Mags. She fed, changed, played with, and rocked her to sleep. This freed me up to nap some and even spend some time with my good friend Laurie (same name, pronounced differently), Shel's sistser, who was in town. We grabbed coffee at, where else? The Coffee Beanery (where I of course, won her over to their Chai tea latte)! Later, we hit a few stores, then came home for dinner. Laurie, the MIL, had cooked a delicous meal of brisket, carmelized carrots, rice, and sourdough bread. The meal was finished off with blonde brownies and ice cream. Yum! The grandparents, to be known from here on out as Mema (me-maw) and Pops, left early this morning. We'll miss them immensely and bid them come back anytime. Many thanks, for all the love and help you gave us this weekend.

9 comments:

  1. What cute pics! Wow, Mags is changing so fast! I'm so glad you had a good time with Aron's folks and with Laurie. I'm happy you were able to see some familiar faces and spend quality time with La. The dinner sounds yummy....blonde brownies? I must have the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was our pleasure! We hope to be able to do it again real soon

    Love,

    MeMaw and Pops

    BTW - It's 60 degrees and sunny here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you guys had a great time. I really enjoyed getting to catch up a little the other day. Mags looks great, I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. suz, what is the origin of the terms memaw and pops? i am just curious. here in the south, there are a lot of meemaw(s) and pappaw(s)-don't know how that is spelled :) I call my grandparents meme and poppy...i always thought it was a pennsylvania german thing, but they told me the other day it wasn't. don't know many other meme(s) and poppy(s) though. My mom wants owie to call her nana...what is mags gonna call your parents? i love stuff like this...kinda like how people in different parts of the states say coke (meaning all soda), soda, cola, pop, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH...How sweet and I'm so glad you had a great weekend. I have a memaw and she is so dear...I'm glad maggie has one too! Ok...I just looked at all the pictures you sent, I've been crying and crying. She is just beautiful. I want to meet her so badly...hopefully one day soon...at least before she is one. Talk to you Thursday! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mo and I are also self-proclaimed chai snobs. We have discovered that THE best chai in the world is Big Train Chai (vanilla is our fav). And for those days when you just can't make it to the coffee shop (often a problem for new parents), you can order it online (I can give you the website if you want) and buy a little frother from Crate and Barrel to make it more like the coffee shop. SO good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alisa, I will have to buy and try. Ok, but you'll have to buy and try the chai from The Coffee Beanery; it's called Pacific Chai and I've never had anything better. It'll be interesting to see how they each taste in respect to the other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Pacific Chai is very close to Big Train Chai. I think Big Train has a richer flavor though. Whereas Oregon Chai (what Starbucks uses) is a little too strong and intense for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big Train Chai is my fave too. Suz, didn't I give you some when I was there in July? I agree with your friend, in that you need a frother to make it really good from home. I like it best when I have to buy it from someplace, although I have found no place, except the little "cafe" at Nordstroms and that was in ATL. I got hooked in college at the coffee shop I worked at. Anyway. I think Coffee Beanery is very good and close second. Starbucks - a last-resort-only-if-I-have-to third; it's just watery and without flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete