Friday, October 3, 2008

well said

I joined the MOPS (Mothers of PreSchoolers, though you don't have to have a pre-schooler to join) program at our church this year and it's been a good experience thus far; I roped a few friends into joining me, too, and this has helped me enjoy the group more. Yesterday, we watched an interview with Christian singer/songwriter Sara Groves where she shared what God has taught her in regards to being a wife, artist, and mother. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it and have been pondering two things she shared. Though not necessarily new to me, I nevertheless felt they were aptly spoken and have resonated with me.

*"God will define 'normal' for my life." Often, we as mothers (and even women in general), think we need to line up with a "standard" of what it looks like to be a mom and realistically, it is not the same for every person, because every life situation is different: there are working moms, single moms, moms who's spouses are involved in raising the kids and those who are not, etc. I need to keep the perspective that God doesn't try to cram me into one mold, but is pleased to use me/teach me/grow me in the variety of situations and seasons of life.

*"Bring your children into what you are passionate about." Specifically meaning, don't loose yourself in motherhood and not continue to do activities/jobs that you know you were created to do. Let your children see your joy and creativity in areas that you love, be it artistically or relationally.

1 comment:

  1. I was getting ready to write "well said" when I saw that this is what you titled this post. So, I'll simply thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete